Wednesday 29 April 2009

Virtual Anatomy - Digital Concept Art

I started this piece of concept art exactly the same as the last piece, considering the framing of the image and decided to have the split of the throat in the centre so it felt like you could follow the path of the esophagus to the left and the trachea to the right. To start I used the lasso tool to create curved triangles and added gradients so it felt like a tube that was ribbed which gave it the feeling that you were travelling into the body which is my aim. I brought this technique in until I created a circle for the split. The gradient I used was from a dark bluey-grey colour to a lighter tones of the colour. I used this because in the diagrams I have looked at they vary colour between grey and blue so I decided to combine them.


I then created the split of the throat into the esophagus and trachea and began to develop the continuation of the ribbed tube effect to either side of the split line.


After finishing the continuation of the ribbed tube effect either side of the split line I added the features inside the throat so at one side of split I added the flap that allows air through but stops food. I created this by creating a shape similar to the ones in reference images and a added the dark pink to light pink gradient I used inside of the last concept art but felt that it lacked life so i painted on top giving it more contrast and less of a fluid colouration as well as adding the muscles that open the flap. On the other side of the split I added random shapes and painted them the colour of a peanut as if it had been chewed up. After this I began to add shadows to the ribbed effect to make come to life as if it was going into the distance and give the effect of travelling through it which is what I intended.

After I had finished the shadows i still felt that the gradients used for the ribbed effect were over-powering and stopped it coming to life so I added curvature lines along the ribbed effect in many different shades of grey and blue to split up the gradient but it felt it was coming to life but was almost there.



So I began adding highlights on the built up parts of the ribbed tube as if the light from the mouth was entering and bouncing down the tube. This really brought the image to life, I felt, because it did a marvellous job of splitting up the gradient colouration in conjunction with the coloured curvature lines I added before.






No comments: