Thursday 15 January 2009

Digital Environment Project - Analsis of Uncanny Films

The Birds – that was totally uncanny in my view as there was absolutely no clues or definition of why it happen, I thought that it could have been something to do with the dead dad and god and him controlling nature to make sure his wife is always looked after but then why would he want his son to be unhappy. I thought this as it only started happening when the women became involved in his life but there was no proof. The things that made it uncanny was the unusualness of the idea and the timings of the scenes containing the birds and this keeps you in suspense throughout the whole film.

Walkabout – I found the story actually quite good but what made it uncanny to me was the cutting to snip-its of our scenes then returning e.g. when the aborigine cut up the animal but it cut to a scene of a butcher. I think the whole film is showing the uncanniness of how many things are similar between man-made civilisations and nature.

Picnic at hanging rock – I did not find this film uncanny apart from them taking the trip to a place that is not exactly that good ; it is muddy and overgrown and it is a private school so they surely would be able to afford a lot better trip. This is the only part as it has a perfectly plausible plot and gives across clues and ideas about what happened and to me it just feels like an unfinished film that is in production.

Long weekend - I found some parts of this film uncanny because the some parts of the film did not go with the expectations i had of what was going to happen. I thought overall though the film had a good plot as we never see the point of view of what we are harming which I suppose is uncanny because it has been juxtaposed

No comments: